So being a relatively poor student in the grand scheme of things, date nights in with the man are in high importance, but more importantly than that they have to be cheap, cheerful and a LOT of fun. Whilst nights out can be spent with your loved one (which may I point out doesn’t HAVE to be a boyfriend/girlfriend. Friends/brothers/sisters/parents/pets go quite well on this too) with dinners or clubbing, there’s something really great about staying in in your jammies and having a good old chat. So here are some budget ideas if you’re ever stuck of things to get stuck into:
1) Movie Marathon. Probably the most obvious, but mix it up! Have a HIS night, a HERs night .. hell, even a theme night!
2) Board Games. Go mental on this one. Pull out all the stops. Why not have Twister, Monopoly and Game of Life going all at once?! Go crazy.
3) Have a picnic. Sit somewhere you usually wouldn’t (outside, kitchen floor, dining room, bedroom floor), spread out a rug and have some treats! Complete with Cava .. of course!
4) Work out DVDs! Sounds mental, but Zumba and Pilates can be quite hilarious together. Put on some mad outfits and get a sweat on.
5) Do the housework together. Sometimes massive tasks seem too hard to handle. For me, housework is a huge one. Stick on your favourite tracks, pour yourself a glass of wine and get hoovering! Have a race if you fancy, and have a nice dessert as a reward at the end.
6) Recreate a perfect night. One of my favourite nights in I’ve ever had with boyfriend was a night we watched ‘The Beach’, had a few bottles of wine, stuck some candles on, listened to Tyler Ward for far too long and chatted into the early hours. Since then, we’ve recreated it a few times .. each time more fun than previous! Take inspiration from what you’ve done before.
7) TV Marathon. Take a favourite TV show, or an entirely new one, and challenge yourselves to watch a whole season.
8) Draw each other. Sounds weird, but can be totally hilarious. Get some pens/pencils/paints/paper .. and get creative!
9) Theme night. This could be incorporated into movie night, but why not go the whole hog. Decorations, outfits, music, food .. the lot! Favourites off the top of my head include Mexican, French, Spanish, American or Italian.
10) Have a boogie. Get some drinks flowing, stick on some clubbing tracks, lights off .. and just have a dance!
11) Make a den. Again, perhaps a weird one, or just very childish maybe. With some prominent furniture and strategically placed sheets, a den can be made to cosy in/cuddle up in/do whatever you fancy in ..!
12) Cocktail night. As students, we’ve always got spirits bottles with just a few shots remaining. Dress up a little, grab all the mixers you can find and go crazy! Through Cocktail night, a Fanta Fruit Twist, Gin and Grenadine miracle was created. Give it a go!
13) Candlelight Crazy. Lights off. All the tealights you can get your hands on. And just chat.
14) Opposite night. Be opposite for the night! Yes means no, no means yes, just do everything differently! If one of you drinks red wine and the other drinks white, swap. You get the idea.
15) Video game night. Whack out the console and don’t stop til the girl has won SOMETHING!
16) Rearrange a room. Similar to housework; music, wine and boom. Relax in your refreshed new room at the end.
17) Order in crazy. Order something you’ve never had before, and see how it goes. I’m meaning to do this one. On our local ‘JustEat’ page there’s Afghanistan, Lebanese and Arabian food left to try. Dig in!
18) Wine and cheese night. Splash out; some crackers, your favourite dairy products, vino (of course) and see where the night leads!
19) Just have a few. Whack out the drinking games to film, tv, roulette, cards … and have a great night!
Just have fun!